iPhone 7 : User Review
January 1, 1970
After having had my first iPhone, the iPhone 4s for about 3 years, I was very much excited to upgrade to the iPhone 7 when it was said to be released. I ordered it on pre-sale (around August 2016), in of course the Jet Black, which in hindsight was a terrible idea considering it was the most popular and sought after colour, however, a month after waiting for it to arrive and the delivery date being pushed back weeks every time it got close to having the phone, I decided to cancel my order and go into store and pick one up physically myself. This worked out much better. Nevertheless, I am in love with my new phone and do not regret my purchase at all.
Battery Life and Charging
Unlike some of the issues with other models of the iPhone, the iPhone 7 has really upped its battery life game. Usually, I will put my phone into ‘low battery mode’ so that it doesn’t fetch emails and things that are useless like that while I am not using it and that will easily last me a full day without charging it, but even on normal battery mode, it lasts a ridiculously longer time than the past iPhone have.
Charging the phone, I don’t think is any more efficient than any of the older models, however. In saying that, charging the phone is not slow at all and I believe is quite effective, especially if ‘Aeroplane mode’ is on.
Performance and Design
I feel that ergonomically and aesthetically, the iPhone 7 is the best performing model yet. It is slim and light, but heavy enough for it to not feel flimsy or breakable in your hand, but it’s still slim enough to comfortably fit into one hand and not have to be in a struggle to wrap your fingers around it. The home button is probably the coolest new feature in this model, though! When the phone is off, the button where the home button is is not actually a button at all. You can tell because there is no indent that pushes downwards when you put pressure, but when the phone is on, it makes a click and a response that is as if there was a physical button there, which I think is incredibly cool. The camera is also a great feature of the new phone, granted – the Plus would have better camera quality, but the quality on the 7 is incredible enough that there is no need to lug around a big camera, unless for special occasions – which I think is so convenient.
The home button is probably the coolest new feature in this model, though! When the phone is off, the button where the home button is is not actually a button at all. You can tell because there is no indent that pushes downwards when you put pressure, but when the phone is on, it makes a click and a response that is as if there was a physical button there, which I think is incredibly cool. The camera is also a great feature of the new phone, granted – the Plus would have better camera quality, but the quality on the 7 is incredible enough that there is no need to lug around a big camera, unless for special occasions – which I think is so convenient.
The 3D touch feature in this new model is also highly convenient. Admittedly, I don’t use it as much as I would like to, but I feel as though it is something that you have to get into a habit of using as it is so different from any model of iPhone before and how you work it. Browsing through internet pages and such is probably what I use it most for (or online shopping) and it is very useful for that, so I am very excited to be able to play with it more and see what other fun things it can do.
- 3D Touch
- It’s a great, new feature. Really makes working and using the iPhone easy and interesting.
- New Jet Black colour
- Looks super sleek and professional. I initially thought that it would get marks on the back of it and show up really badly, however, with a clear case on it, it looks good as new, always!!
- Incredibly sensitive home button
- Great to come in and out of lock-screen as you just need to push your finger on the button now, rather than hold it there and wait for it to register your fingerprint – this has really been updated and works great now.
- Battery life
- Really efficient and thoroughly improved from the last models.
- Camera quality
- Not really much to say, other than both the front camera and the back camera have been very much increased in quality.
- Resolution of screen quality
- The screen is very clear, games and images look phenomenal.
- Headphone jack
- The removal of the headphone jack is annoying. It wasn’t until a few days ago, I wasn’t able to listen to my music through my gymming headphones as I broke the little converter thing that comes in the box, which changes the normal aux input into the lightning input for the phone, but now that I have broken that thing and I am forced to use their white headphones until I get it replaced, its a little annoying. Also!!! No charging the phone and listening to music at the same time!
- Not a new enough design
- It is the same shape and look as the iPhone 5, 5s, 6 and 6s. Nothing in the model has changed apart from the launch of the new coloured options.
- No wireless charging
- Back to the whole, no charging and listening to music at the same time, if there was wireless charging input into the design, it would be a complete problem solved.
- The iPhone 7Plus is not the same phone but just bigger
- The iPhone 7 Plus is almost a completely different phone than the smaller model of it. It has a different camera, noticeably better features – its no longer just a bigger phone which is unfortunate for those who, like myself, don’t want the bigger phone, because it is too big for my comfort, but will have to miss out on the features in the bigger one, just because we like the smaller one.
It’s a great smartphone. There are features I would love to change about it, but I believe that the pros and convenience of having this iPhone outweigh the cons of the phone by a long-shot. It has stepped up since the release of the iPhone 6s noticeably so, thus I am very excited to see where Apple will take the iPhone 7s/8/ or whatever they’re going to call it next!!
I have always been an apple fan, as I also own a MacBook Air which just highlights the convenience of the phone even more, but after purchasing this phone and considering how impressed I am with it, I don’t believe I will be changing to any other brand of phone for a while.